Wednesday, July 1, 2009

8. True Colors




OK, by this time Beryl was out of control.

Visits by the police became a common occurrence and was a huge embarrassment to George. A man of the law who can't control his own daughter.








I wasn't at all happy with the new look she was sporting either.
I was losing control and and the more George and I came down on her the further away she got.





She is spending every waking moment with her boyfriend and has started skipping school.



Club hopping, dancing, and even drinking has become a way of life and she doesn't see how this is going to effect her future. I'm full of guilt and
want to help her but I think I've lost her for good.















I mistakenly thought this was the biggest issue I would have to deal with.

I was wrong.

Possibly dead wrong.

Bishop was growing quickly, aging progresses normally for "our kind" until we reach adulthood. He was doing well in school and making friends. I didn't see the threat on the horizon.


The threat came in the form of Roxie Lin.
Local gossip to some. Local menace to me.
Roxie always looked me over with disdain when our paths crossed in town and I was beginning to notice her looking at Bishop the same way.


This morning while running errands she approached me.
"I know about you and your boy!" she spitted out.
"You are evil and so is your boy! I will see you both exposed for what you are and the good people of Riverview will run you from this town!"


I'd had ENOUGH!
I exposed my long sharp teeth.
"Get back woman! Shut your mouth of this forever or I will chew out your vocal cords myself!"


"I knew it, I knew it! You are the devil himself!" She screamed at the top of her lungs and I feared that she would draw the attention of passers-by.


I had to do something to stop this hysterical woman.
I looked directly into her black eyes with mine and transfixed her with my powerful stare.
How dare she threaten my family!
As much as I wanted her blood to spill I knew that this would only create more problems.
For now I would not use violence to deal with Roxie.


When it was over she stood there limp, like a worn out rag.
She had no memory of the last few minutes but I could not erase ALL her memories.
I knew this would not be the last encounter with Roxie as I quickly walked away before she could wake up and confront me again.

I drove home in a cold sweat.
I needed a relaxing bath and George's kind arms around me. I needed to feel safe, but not for myself but for my son.
George was painting, he had been working on a surprise and it turned out to be exactly that.
On the canvas, staring back at me were my eyes.
Not the eyes that the rest of the world saw but the eyes I saw every day in the mirror.
He was painting a portrait and it was of my true self.
George knew!

1 comment:

Taylor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.