Monday, July 6, 2009

12. The Last Supper

All was peaceful in the Youngblood household.
My boys were growing up fast. Unlike their sister, they took school seriously, helped around the house, and didn't give me the worry I always held in my heart every time she stepped out of the house.


Yes, the lazy days of summer were over but Bishop still found time to hang out by the River after school. The rippling current relaxed his nerves and gave him time to contemplate his future.


George was at his easel Friday morning when I walked into the study.
"Are you ready for the party tomorrow?" I asked him
"I suppose...I set up the stereo and I just need to pick up the cakes first think in the morning"


"Good" I said. We were still having issues and not communicating like we used to, "Honey... how about a nice dinner...just the two of us...after the party?"
"That would be nice" he replied.
When he said this I swear I saw a sparkle in his eye that hadn't been there in a long long while.


The guests began arriving right on time.
Cory Lobos even brought her world famous peanut butter sandwiches.
I smiled gratefully as I placed them in the kitchen...as far away from my buffet table as I could...I hope she didn't notice..but then again, I don't really care.


The best part of the party was having my entire family there.
My grandson, Charlie, was already in elementary school and kept me laughing with all his jokes.

The dancing went well into the evening.
Bishop and Christin didn't leave each others side the entire time.


The guests cheered as Boston and Bishop took turns blowing out their candles.
As the party wrapped up and the guests trickled out I looked forward to leaving the mess behind and having a very quiet dinner with my husband.


Dinner was lovely.
We ate and talked...and talked...and talked some more.
Now that we were both retired and the boys were grown we had so many plans.
I'd been all over the world, but the idea of exploring the world with George thrilled me.


We were waiting for the bill when George slumped over in his seat.
"I don't feel well Audra, let's go home"
I took him home.. but by early morning I was taking him to Riverview Memorial Hospital.


Waiting there as we arrived was my old friend in black.
I was the only one who saw him.
My throat tightened and my legs got weak.
I did not summon him......this time he came on his own.

No comments: