Sunday, July 5, 2009

11. Revenge is so Sweet

Little Charlie was such a joy to have around the house. He was growing up fast but the tension between George and Beryl was growing. One day she and Jarrod packed up their things and moved in with Jarrod's mother across town. My heart was broken.


I pleaded with George. I pointed out how hard Beryl was trying to be a good mother and how much she needed us to support her. He had to put his ego aside.
I picked up the phone and dialed the number...Beryl and her father began talking.


In time old wounds mended and after he retired he began going over to their place and spent more and more time with Charlie. He was being a true grandfather and it felt great.


One day after babysitting for Charlie, George came home to find Elaina Cooper at our front door. She had blossomed into a young woman much faster than the other girls. I didn't like her spending time with Boston and Bishop. I could tell she was playing both of them.


When I glanced out the window and saw her working on my George I'd had enough.


I didn't hold back, and I was only slightly concerned that it would come to blows. I told her to leave my property and not to bother coming back.
George was stunned, I'm sure that he didn't even realize what she was trying to do.


She glared at me with her squinty eyes and said "look old lady, you can't keep me from you boys, any of them, if they want me, I'll give them what they want, just try and stop me."
With those words she tossed her pathetic braids, gave George a wink, and sauntered away like she was the Queen of England.


I might be an "old lady" and try my best to keep my self out of trouble but nobody, and I mean nobody threatens me like that and gets away with it.
I picked up the phone and spoke to my "friend" about my little "problem".


"Can you do it now?"
I didn't get a verbal response, I never do, but I could sense that all would be better by morning.


And it was:

....the untimely death of Elaine Cooper came as a surprise to residents of Riverview. The coroner is not releasing details but a source close to the victim said, "the scene was horrific, unlike anything I've ever seen". The police are searching for clues ..blah..blah...blah....a service will be help Sunday at 10am.

Bishop took the news really hard.

But it didn't take long before a violet eyed girl with sunny locks took his breath away and the name Elaina Cooper was never mentioned again.

1 comment:

mandy347 said...

Having the Grim Reaper as an old friend really comes in handy, doesn't it? :)