Friday, July 3, 2009

9. The Secret Comes Out

All was well again.
My boys, Bishop and Boston were growing fast and it pleased me that they got along with each other so well.


I was up to some of my old tricks.
Those repair folks make such tasty treats.


Even my lovely Beryl was doing well. She graduated, not with honors, but she had her diploma and that was what mattered.
She was spending a lot more time around the house which was nice, but she wouldn't look me in the eye when I was in the room.
What was going on? What did she know?


As it turned out it wasn't my secret that was bothering her but one of her own.


She finally came to me one evening, in obvious distress.
"Mom, I know I've been so much trouble.....and... well...and now I've gone and...." she stammered for the right words. "Mom, I'm just going to say it....I'm pregnant."
1
Sh grabbed me around the neck before I had time to think.
"Mom, I know I'm young and this wasn't really planned but I'm so happy!"
I don't really know which shocked me more, her news or her embrace. It had been years since we had shared this kind of closeness.


I did the only thing I could do.
I hugged her back.
I was scared for her, but deep down I knew she would be OK.
I just wondered if her father would be OK


"George, I need to tell you something." I think I was more nervous than Beryl had been when she told me. "Remember that I love you and we're a strong family."
"You're scaring me, what's wrong?" he replied.
Fast, like pulling off a bandage, that's how I have to do it "George, Beryl is pregnant."


He stood there in silence, I could feel his anger building.
"This is your influence!" he yelled. " Your evil influence!"
I was taken aback. George had never made such accusations before. I was hurt and I was angry.


I walked from the room, shaking with every emotion, how could he say such a vile thing to me?
George, you may just be one step closer to your grave.

No comments: