Friday, July 3, 2009

10. Ray of Sunshine

I knew I had to remain level headed.
The father of my future grandchild sat before me.
"Are you ready to man up? There's no going back now, a new life is on its way, and you're going to know what it's like to grow up real fast."
He looked me in the eye and promised to always be there for Beryl and the baby.


The kids went to Jarrod's mother next.
She was young and single when she got pregnant with Jarrod and she had struggled all her life to make ends meet.
"What are you two going to do? Where are you going to live?
Jarrod you don't even have a job!"

Beryl told Jarrod's mother about the novels she had published, 3 in all, they were bringing in about $400 a week and that she was going to continue living with her family until they could save up for their own place.
Jarrod's mother reluctantly gave her blessing, this was her only son and she had been in their shoes at one time.

That evening he and Beryl made it official.
It wasn't the big wedding I always thought she would have. It was on the steps of City Hall with a small group of friends and myself as witnesses, my George did not attend. Even so, I had never seen my daughter as happy as she was that night.

As the months went along Beryl took good care of herself and reading everything she could about babies. George agreed that the couple could stay at the house but he avoided Jarrod like the plague and kept his distance from Beryl as well.


The boys were full of curious questions and were pretty excited about being uncles.


"Hey there little baby, did you know your mama is crazy, did you know that?" Boston cooed at Beryls growing tummy.
"Shut-up and stop joking" Beryl said as she smacked his shoulder "the baby can really hear you, I read it in a book!"


The boys, George, and I had gone out for dinner and a movie the night Beryl went into labor. From what I hear Jarrod really freaked out. He was so out of it that he jumped in the car and headed to the hospital...and forgot Beryl!
She called a cab and got there just in time.
Oh heaven help them!


It's a Boy!
Charlie Cosby-Youngblood


Things were not quite the same with George and I. He was depressed and avoided conversation. I'm not sure if he really blames me for Beryl's unruly childhood or if he truly puts the blame on himself.


Boston and Bishop brought a new friend home after school.
I'm not exactly sure what they see in her....


But I know what I see.
I see trouble.
Trouble with a capital "T"

No comments: